ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Jose Alberto Fernandez" <j_a_fernan...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: [ANN] Collecting requirements for Ant2
Date Mon, 12 Mar 2001 12:19:46 GMT
> From: Conor MacNeill [mailto:conor@cortexebusiness.com.au]
>
> Paul,
>
> That is an interesting issue and I have given it some
> thought. It is not as
> straight forward as might first appear since Ant can run
> arbitrary Java
> classes using the <java> tag and these classes can access System.out
> directly. Ideally you want to capture that output and direct
> it into Ant's
> event messages, ant that implies that Ant will have some sort
> of System.out
> handler.
>
> You also need to include System.err in that.
>
> Thoughts?

Yeap. I think it may be possible to have ANT put its own streams of System.*
so that all tasks that may be using System.* directly will get their output
diverted. But what I am not so sure we can do that easily is to have
multiple separate channels running at the same time on different threads
since all of them share the same System.* variables.

Although on second thought, there are ThreadContext variables in Java2 maybe
we could use them to achieve that kind of thing.

Jose Alberto