ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Conor MacNeill" <co...@cortexebusiness.com.au>
Subject Re: [VOTE] task/documentation writer's business
Date Sun, 25 Mar 2001 04:25:02 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stefan Bodewig" <bodewig@apache.org>
To: <ant-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Thursday, March 22, 2001 2:26 AM
Subject: [VOTE] task/documentation writer's business

> These are the requests for task improvements and new tasks people want
> to see.
>
> Voting here is a bit tricky - please give an entry a -1 if you think,
> this is not just a task writer's issue or "no way, Ant should never
> have a task like this".
>
> A +1 does not imply "I'm going to write this task" but simply, "OK,
> let's see who volunteers to pick up this request - it doesn't affect
> the core of Ant2 at all".
>
> The list:
>
> * Add a new datatype filterset to group token-filters

+1

> * make usage of particular filters/filtersets explicit in copy tasks

+1

> * make facade tasks for things like javac (JikesImpl, ModernImpl etc)

+1

>   One candidate is jar with implementations for fastjar
>   for example.
>
> * unify multiple similar tasks to use similar forms (ie all the javacc
>   type tools)

+1 - depends on how similar the tools really are. Don't want a square pegs
and round holes situation

> * Obfuscating task

+1- sure if someone submits one, but that is the same for a whole host of
tasks. It would be an optional task, presumably.

> * Add an <ant> task that will find build files according to a fileset
>   and invokes a common target in them.
>
>   <anton>?

+1 for anton

> * Add a JavaApply task that executes a given class with files from a
>   fileset as arguments - similar to <apply>.

+1

> * Include some more sophisticated loggers with the Ant distribution -
>   especially for sending emails. Make the existing one more flexible
>   (stylesheet used by XmlLogger).

+1 - This may affect the core if this is going to be specified in the build
file and require the email message to be defined. More sophisticated
loggers require more sophisticated configuration than command line options.
So, does that mean I should have said -1?

>   Could be part of the same module tasks would be developed in?
>
> * make the default logger's output clear, informative, and terse.

-1  - I think it is OK as it is.

Compare these two
http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/gump/latest/bootstrap-ant.html
http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/gump/latest/jakarta-tomcat.html

>   Actually, this is a little bit abstract, but doesn't apply to the
>   core either.
>
> * Better docs.
>
>   More examples. Tutorials, beginner documents, reference sheets for
>   tasks, printable version.

+1 - I can't see anyone not wanting better docs :-)

> * RPM task.

+1 - and the generation of Ant's RPM should be included in Ant's build file

> * add an attribute to <property> to read in an entire file as the
>   value of a property.

+1 - Not sure what the motivation and how useful but no problems with it

> * Task for splitting files (head/tail/split like functionality).

+1

> * Task to create XMI from Java.

+1

> * socksified networking tasks, SSH tasks.

+1

> * a reachable task that works much like available for network URLs.

+1

> * make PATH handling consistent. Every task that has a PATH attribute
>   must also accept references to PATHs.

+1 - if that is to be the case then perhaps it should be enforced rather
than just being a policy.

> * Task to extract classes from a JAR file that a given class depends
>   on.
>
>   Based on <depend> or IBM's JAX for example.

+1 - but I think this is actually to only include the closure of those
classes upon which a root set of classes depends on. Inclusion rather than
extraction, in other words.

>   task, support AND/OR of several tests here.

+1 - I think it has to come

> * jsp-compilation task
>
>   Sounds like a candidate for a facade task.

+1 - no problems

> * URL-spider task that checks links for missing content or server errors

+1