ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-ant/src/main/org/apache/tools/ant/taskdefs Zip.java
Date Fri, 02 Feb 2001 14:24:36 GMT
Sam Ruby <rubys@us.ibm.com> wrote:

>> Pete knew I'd be doing it and in this case, I think it's
>> no real problem.
>
> I'm broken.

No, you are not. Sorry if anything I said suggests that.

> How do we fix the process so that items like this are noticed and
> addressed earlier?

Don't know, really. One of the problems with the tinderbox approach is
that you always include experimental changes that may very well go
away again.

My take on this is that every project that relies on alpha features of
another project is responsible to track changes in that alpha version
itself. Well, this is easier to say than to do, I know. Especially
when talking about projects that still don't have a single released
version ...

> Or that deprecated features are not removed until users who are
> dependent on that feature have made the change?

Using GUMP (is the capitalization correct?) to find users of
deprecated features will help, but what about the projects the system
doesn't track? I think there must always be an extended deprecation
period before a feature can be removed - but it's kind of difficult to
decide how long would be long enough.

Stefan