ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Reserved XML tags?
Date Fri, 09 Feb 2001 14:10:08 GMT
Conor MacNeill <conor@cortexebusiness.com.au> wrote:

> Whilst we may be able to restrict the use of project and target,
> there are a number of other nested elements which we will find it
> increasingly difficult to maintain restrictions.

s/increasingly difficult/impossible/

> Finally a lesser example, take the <tar> changes I recently made. I
> added nested <fileset> elements but I allowed those elements to take
> additional attributes.

If I had been paying attention ... ;-) I've modified <zip> no less
than twice to ensure <fileset> is a <fileset> without any additional
attributes, now it's too late.

> So, really an ant file is not guaranteed to be a valid xml
> file.

At least not one that can be validated against a DTD. I think Ant is
not lost when it comes to XSchema validation, something we probably
should try to achieve sometime.

> I wonder how <antstructure> handles these situations.

It will not list the additional attributes <fileset> within <tar> can
have. The first time a named element has been encountered, this one
will be used to create the DTD snippet.

Stefan