ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <>
Subject Re: Reserved XML tags?
Date Fri, 09 Feb 2001 14:27:06 GMT
Conor MacNeill <> wrote:
> From: "Stefan Bodewig" <>
>> If I had been paying attention ... ;-) I've modified <zip> no less
>> than twice to ensure <fileset> is a <fileset> without any
>> additional attributes, now it's too late.
> Well, maybe not too late. I can change the name to tarfileset before
> we go final on 1.3. I just don't know if I like the proliferation of
> fubarFilesets.

See, we will probably have <fileset> derived types with all kinds of
added functionality sooner or later. The current <zipfileset> could be
applied to <unzip> for example, to just extract a specified set of
files. One could have something similar to the new fileset in <tar>
for <untar> that would automagically invoke <chmod> under the sheets
and so on.

I don't think we should create blurbfileset either, what we need is a
way to clearly say which is which - sooner or later we are going to
face questions like "why does the fileset in task foo not support the
attribute bar of task baz? It's not exactly the same, but it could
mean ...".

I must admit that I don't know what to do about it, sorry. Either way
seems to lead into the wrong direction.

View raw message