ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Jay Glanville" <dic...@nortelnetworks.com>
Subject RE: [Patch] addition of an "include level" to the matching task & jav ac task
Date Thu, 01 Feb 2001 20:09:19 GMT
Ok, I respectfully remove my proposal from the offering table.

I think one of the main reasons that I made these changes is because I
didn't like the fact that I wasn't getting what I asked for.  i.e.: I asked
you to include all these files, and you didn't.

I think that I will now focus my energies in getting some of the
documentation to actually capture some of the functionality of the task.
(e.g.: task <javac> actually does some time-stamp checking ...)

Thanks for your feedback.

Jay

-----Original Message-----
From: Stefan Bodewig [mailto:bodewig@apache.org]
Sent: Wednesday, January 31, 2001 3:43 AM
To: ant-dev@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: Re: [Patch] addition of an "include level" to the matching task
& jav ac task

Jay Glanville <dickon@nortelnetworks.com> wrote:

> Why?  On a ClearCase file system, file access is slightly slower
> then local hard drive access (due to networks, NFS mounts,
> repository server loads, etc).  Therefore, accessing two different
> files in different directories for time stamps can take a while.

And this would be worse than always compiling everything? If you
remove the target directory upfront (i.e. clean out all old classes)
does it improve the situation?

> How do I propose to do this?  I have added an attribute to the
> MatchingTask task called "includelevel".

I don't think includelevel is a good name for this - and I don't think
MatchingTask is the right place either. If anywhere it belongs to
<javac> directly - unless we find it would be useful for other tasks
as well - in which case we need to search for a better place. What you
want is similar to the overwrite attribute in <copy> which does not
inherit from MatchingTask for example.

Stefan