ant-dev mailing list archives

From Jesse Glick <Jesse.Gl...@netbeans.com>
Subject Re: public vs. private targets
Date Fri, 23 Feb 2001 15:25:15 GMT
Chris Greenlee wrote:
> Personally, I would find the public vs. private target distinction
> useful.  I'm trying to integrate Ant into the various IDE's we use in my
> company so that we can have a somewhat unified build/test process.
> Right now there's no easy way to offer a list of all and only tasks that
> our developers should run -- they also see the tasks that are in there
> for under-the-hood stuff.  My current options are (1) give them a list
> and say "Don't use anything else", or (2) mess with the GUI integration
> so that it only displays the task names I want them to be able to run.
> Neither of those is as clean as adding the public / private attribute.

I also like the idea of public vs. private target but I think it is useful
more for enforcing clean interfaces between different build scripts in a
complex build environment, than for users where the 'description' attr can
work well enough. For the NetBeans integration I made targets with
descriptions appear with a special highlit icon and tool tip; unlike the VAJ
version the user is not prevented from accessing the undocumented targets
though. Dunno.

-Jesse

--
Jesse Glick   <mailto:Jesse.Glick@netbeans.com>
tel (+4202) 3300-9161 Sun Micro x49161 Praha CR