ant-dev mailing list archives

From Glenn McAllister <gl...@somanetworks.com>
Subject Re: New documentation committed
Date Thu, 08 Feb 2001 22:00:13 GMT
Chris Todd wrote:

> As I mentioned, I would be more than happy to XML-ize the Ant docs.  I
> didn't want to step on anyone's toes, however, and I was kind of waiting for
> Conor to finish his reorganization of the existing HTML docs (nice job,
> BTW!).  I was also kind of waiting for someone to say "sure Chris, do it",
> since I wasn't sure if there was consensus on XML-izing the docs, and if so,
> whether we were going to use Stylebook or Anakia (since I don't know Anakia
> very well, I would be more comfortable using straight XML/XSL).

I think we are all in agreement that we need to provide a structured way of
providing documentation for Ant in general and Tasks in particular, and that
XML-izing the docs is the way to go.  However, I would suggest that we should
wait until after the 1.3 release, especially since you would rather use
straight XML/XSL than Anakia or Stylebook; I'd rather not have to change all
the docs more than once.

This is not to crush your initiative, especially as there are no ones toes to
step on.  At least, not that I'm aware of.  :-)  We've been wanting to do this
for a while, but it was decided in the 1.2 release time frame that we should
wait till we have pluggable tasks (at least, that we my interpretation of what
happened, others please feel free to contradict me).  So, I feel that this
major change as to how we do docs should wait for Ant 2.0.

My $0.02.

Glenn McAllister