ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Reserved XML tags?
Date Fri, 09 Feb 2001 13:31:30 GMT
At 12:23  10/2/01 +1100, Conor MacNeill wrote:
>Pete,
>
>It is an interesting problem. Whilst we may be able to restrict the use of
>project and target, there are a number of other nested elements which we
>will find it increasingly difficult to maintain restrictions. For example,
>say someone creates a task which takes a <javac> nested element. They
>really shouldn't be able to, because that is already used by the <javac>
>task.

right - but worse. What if group A creates task foo while group B uses the
name foo as a sub-element ;) I think trying to police this or enforce it
will become largely impossible. The only solution I believe is to lead by
example - we design tasks properly and hope that end users follow our
design patterns ;)

>So, really an ant file is not guaranteed to be a valid xml file. Conversely
>if you generate a DTD, you may be able to create valid xml files which will
>not be valid ant files. I wonder how <antstructure> handles these
>situations.

I am not too fazed about breaking DTD compatability - DTDs are an extremely
primitive description mechanism. I much prefer XSchema support which deals
perfectly with context sensitive information. XSchema will also be a *much*
better way to support editing in future ... now if only the damn tools
would catch up ;)

Cheers,

Pete