ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject Re: PMC official business
Date Thu, 01 Feb 2001 00:28:19 GMT
At 06:29  31/1/01 +0100, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
>> It is very frustrating to see Apache projects, even subprojects in
>> the same project all using a different methods to handle
>> configruation and logging.
>
>Part of it is software Darwinism. Avalon has its own logging and
>configuration framework for example - and you won't gain too many
>friends if you ask them to switch to log4j I guess.

actually thats a long term goal ;)

>There are subprojects at jakarta with overlapping goals (or even
>solving the same problems just using a different technology) - take
>ORO and regexp for example, struts and turbine to some degree.
>
>People building Apache project communities work on their projects
>because that's what makes them happy. If you go out and tell them
>"drop your framework X and start using Y" this is not going to work.
>
>Eventually a project will attract all developers and the other one
>will die - sometimes this doesn't happen and you end up with two
>healthy communities (that usually hate each other) in two healthy and
>very similar projects living next to each other. The later is what
>happened for the GNU Emacs and XEmacs communities.

Except at Apache we hope there will be more cooperation ;) Thou I guess we
don't get to refer to things as "The Great Schism" - ohwell the price we
pay for collaboration ;) In a lot of ways I think the rules for
revolutionaries is a good way to deal with this.

Cheers,

Pete