ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject Re: 100 character tar limit
Date Thu, 01 Feb 2001 00:25:01 GMT
At 12:54  1/2/01 +1100, Conor MacNeill wrote:
>The 100 character limit on tar entries means that we are currently unable
>to build the tar.gz files of the distribution. This has been caused by two
>things. The tar file now prefixes all paths with "jakarta-ant-1.3alpha",
>which adds a few characters and some classes of the <depend> task have a
>relatively long path org.apache.tools.ant.optional.depend.constantpool.*

painful isn't it ;)

>So, do we need to support distribution other than by .zip files. If so, any
>ideas on how we should handle the 100 char limit. We could break up the
>tree into a number of tar files and tar those up. Not sure if that would be
>considerd acceptable practice.

Well zip ain't so pretty for *nix users as all the permissions are lost. An
option would be to zip up the src/main directory as src.zip and have them
extract it when they suck it down to their machine.

Alternatively we could hack out tar classes and make un-posix compliant and
more GNU compliant. Theres a java library (jTar) that does this so it
shouldn't be too hard. However this guarentees we can only distribute to
GNU based peeps.

Cheers,

Pete