ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Steve Loughran" <>
Subject Re: New manual organization - printing is sometimes useful
Date Wed, 07 Feb 2001 18:57:58 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Christoph Wilhelms" <>
To: <>
Sent: Wednesday, February 07, 2001 09:46
Subject: AW: New manual organization - printing is sometimes useful

> For printable reason someone could write a script putting all the small
> .html's together into one big document. This could be the base for a
> printable version.

or do XML -> PDF by other means. The Junit manuals are a good example of
when a printable PDF manual is nice.

> If we really want to "search" in Conor's version, we need a search-engine,
> but I dont't think there is need for it, for the navigation is really
> inutitive: You get an overview of all, build-in tasks and optional tasks
> THIS is what we need and the old version had a lack of!

The navigation on conor's guide is good. The only weakness from my
perspective is that my bookmark was always to the built in tasks page; now I
have to bring up the main page and click down one. A trivial issue.

One thing we could consider is to produce a CHM version of the helpfile.
Transforming an HTML tree to CHM is a matter of
 -generate an index file (sort of an HTML list of entries)
 -run it through the chm compiler

My (now rarely maintained) win32 FAQ does this
( and it is nicely searchable, printable
and easily bookmarkable. But when I look at the access logs for my win32
FAQ, last week's load was
    -1200 for faq.htm
    -500 for the faq broken up into sections
    -75 for the zipped
    -75 for the .chm

So given the choice, most people seem happy to  pull down the full doco and
read through it, rather than take a fractured version. And the same number
of people care about bandwidth as care about local searchability.

So all in all, I dont think a .CHM version merits the effort, especially the
effort of having to rebuild it on a windows box as part of the overnight

Incidentally, I have the J2SE and J2EE javadoc filesets in .CHM for for
anyone who wants them at 20MB and 4.5MB respectively. Handy if you do like
local searchability. Any takers?

View raw message