ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Conor MacNeill" <co...@cortexebusiness.com.au>
Subject Re: Overriding default Target conditionals
Date Tue, 13 Feb 2001 10:35:01 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tim Vernum" <Tim.Vernum@macquarie.com.au>

> Is this a good idea?
> Do you want custom tasks to be relying on the implementations of core
tasks?
> Isn't that why we have multiple "jikes" objects, because custom tasks use
the existing task, and rely on an implementation?

> I'm not against reuse of tasks, but wildly changing things from private
to protected just because someone finds the functionality useful, is a
recipe for "can't change it, might break someone's build".

> -1 from me (as if my vote even counted)

Good point. As I said in another post, I want to reduce the size of Ant's
contract. Therefore if we do go to protected fields/methods, I think we
must document that subclassing of Ant tasks may break between releases.

Conor