ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Conor MacNeill" <co...@cortexebusiness.com.au>
Subject Re: Reserved XML tags?
Date Fri, 09 Feb 2001 13:23:46 GMT
Pete,

It is an interesting problem. Whilst we may be able to restrict the use of
project and target, there are a number of other nested elements which we
will find it increasingly difficult to maintain restrictions. For example,
say someone creates a task which takes a <javac> nested element. They
really shouldn't be able to, because that is already used by the <javac>
task.

Another scenario would be if someone wants to create a task which an
existing task already uses as a nested element. For example, I added a
<support> element to ejbjar recently. It should preclude the creation of a
<support> task.

Finally a lesser example, take the <tar> changes I recently made. I added
nested <fileset> elements but I allowed those elements to take additional
attributes.

So, really an ant file is not guaranteed to be a valid xml file. Conversely
if you generate a DTD, you may be able to create valid xml files which will
not be valid ant files. I wonder how <antstructure> handles these
situations.

Thought?

Conor