ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Conor MacNeill" <co...@cortexebusiness.com.au>
Subject Re: -emacs flag ??
Date Wed, 28 Feb 2001 12:00:23 GMT
From: "Peter Donald" <donaldp@apache.org>

> Thats not part of UI.

I'd say you are splitting hairs. The build file syntax is strongly part of
the user interface. But anyway, lets put that aside. My point is that the
argument which states that things should be done the way they have always
been done or the way others do them is not very compelling to me. It is the
sort of argument that led C++ to use name mangling to fit the old way of
linking.

> Most cars work the same from the outside (ie UI) but
> I pressume there differences on the inside.

The old interface for cars require manual adjustment of the ignition
advance - thankfully they chose to drop that :-)

> Check out the compilers/build
> tools in other products and the type of input they spit out. It all
follows
> a semi-standard which ant breaks in default form. What makes ants format
> better for breaking the semi-standard (and some tools that rely on it) ?

What I like about Ant's format is that I know which task generated which
message. I lose that with -emacs.

Conor