ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Nikhil R. Deshpande" <nikh...@flashmail.com>
Subject Fork implementation of <antlr> task [was Re: Problem with <antlr> task]
Date Fri, 02 Feb 2001 10:00:59 GMT
Hi,

While stepping through the code for ANTLR task, following
observation was made:

Whatever the value of fork flag, Execute.execute() is always
used to invoke antlr.Tool class.

According to my understanding, the Execute.execute() method
invokes a external program, in this case it is the java program.
This means that the antlr.Tool class will always be run
outside of the ant VM, regardless of the fork attrib value.
Is this correct?

Is this the correct behavior for fork? (I guess not).
I guess the reason for not invoking the antlr.Tool.main method
directly through the code (i.e. using Execute even if fork is
false) is that antlr.Tool calls System.exit() at multiple places
and not just in its main().
Is this correct (or are there any other reasons?)

I suggest:
- Removing the fork attribute (as the implementation is
  inconsistent with what it promises to do, particularly
  for fork=false)
or
- At least documenting this behavior (saying forking will
  be done always).

Which patch should I provide?

One more suggestion:
To avoid the situation like this (i.e. when classes running
through ant tasks call System.exit()), why not have ant's own
security manager with the permission for exitVM disabled?
and catch the resulting SecurityException?
(What impact will this have on other tools and IDEs which
rely on or use ant?)

Comments?

With regards,
 Nikhil

PS:
1. Many tasks support fork attribute; is there a guideline
or something which says use Execute class when forking
and use xyz when not forking?
2. What are the reasons ant needs its own class loader
AntClassLoader?