ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Article on Ant in german magazine
Date Fri, 19 Jan 2001 12:20:28 GMT
Yet another sighting.

The latest issue of german iX <http://www.heise.de/ix/> - which I
happen to be subscribed to - contains articles on Apache 2, Tomcat 3.2
and Ant 1.2 under the main heading "Apache-Trends" - it is the title
page story.

Unfortunately the article is not (yet?) available online and they did
not give the authors email address - I'm still trying to get some
contact information. In any case, the article is written in german.

The article itself is rather short but nice. It starts out with the
reasons for Ant - citing our README file to the extent that make is
labeled "inherently evil" - explains the concept of Project - Target -
Task quite nicely and expands quite a bit on data types (path, fileset
and patternset get explained).

The author gives a quick glance on writing your own tasks (stating it
was simple) and calls the Ant Manual excellent 8-)

He states that the current behavior of property has led to some larger
threads on the mailing list and that the developers had already
announced to change the semantics for Ant2 (seems we've committed to
it 8-).

The whole article closes by saying that Ant has gained a huge momentum
and has become the buildtool of choice for many OS Java projects.

Stefan