ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Problems with the current bootstrap process
Date Mon, 29 Jan 2001 16:17:10 GMT
Hi,

I finally found some time to breathe today and tried my first
cvs-update since Pete has started to shuffle around the build
process. Took me quite some time to figure out what I was supposed to
do now 8-) Part of the problem is that ANT_HOME and the location of
the checked out sources have always been the same for the account I'm
doing Ant development on - I've now changed ANT_HOME to point to the
dist directory as this seems to give the same results.

The bigger problem is that the Constants.java approach doesn't seem to
work for me (IBM JDK 1.3 on Linux) - the generated Constants.class
file contains the correct values, but the compiler has optimized away
the redirection to Constants and Main.class directly contains
@VERSION@ and @DATE@.

It seems the compiler is smart enough to rely on *final* here but
chooses to read the value from the source instead of the class
file. First I thought I could fix it by compiling Constants.java on
its own, but it didn't change anything - I'll have to spend a little
time investigating whether this is unique to the JDK or my box or
something.

Stefan