ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Property substitutions, Contributed Tasks, & New features
Date Tue, 09 Jan 2001 08:05:44 GMT
Jason Rosenberg <jason@squaretrade.com> wrote:

> 2. run-time evaluated, resettable.
>     This is the current 'userProperty', which is not accessible via
>     the Ant XML build file,

Sure? There is a setXXX method that corresponds to an xxx attribute ...

> 3. parse-time evaluated, not-resettable.

More or less the behavior of Ant 1.1.

> 4. In any case, need the ability to allow a property to be
> dynamically resolved, in the event it contains "bla_bla_${prop}".

The proposals for Ant2 cover this.

I think (though I may be wrong) that we more or less agree that
properties should be run-time evaluated, resettable and dynamically
resolved by default in Ant2. One would need a way to say, this
property may not be reassigned (an attribute would suffice) and we
have not yet resolved which properties will be inherited by
subprojects (as the notion of subprojects might change radically
anyway).

Stefan