ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: sh versus bash
Date Mon, 29 Jan 2001 08:40:37 GMT

> Some systems apparently link /bin/sh to tcsh

Must have missed that post, but I think this is just wrong.

Too many scripts out there assume that /bin/sh is Bourne shell
compatible. Any vendor shipping with a /bin/sh that was not a Bourne
shell would surely get toasted.

On all Unix systems I've ever worked with (including C-Shell based
systems like HP/UX and Solaris) /bin/sh has been a Bourne shell.

> and we were using basyh specific features.

The scripts should work with any Bourne shell (if they don't, we have
to fix *that*).

What features are that? Unfortunately I don't have access to anything
but Linux or FreeBSD ATM, so I cannot spot the problems easily - but
it should be a high priority to fix this and I'll be happy to tackle
it.

Finally switching to /bin/bash surely doesn't help. The scripts
probably work with a Korn shell (which is /bin/sh on AIX). Even if a
system admin cares to install Bash, it will probably end up in
/opt/bin or /usr/local/bin or something.

Stefan