ant-dev mailing list archives

From Mariusz Nowostawski <mari...@marni.otago.ac.nz>
Subject Re: long command lines from execon with parallel=true
Date Tue, 23 Jan 2001 03:39:48 GMT
Hi,

> >> Sounds all right to me. Some of the underlying executable programs may
> >> also expect limited number of arguments, so your patch would make that
> >> easier to use as well.
> >

> > I think it would be preferable to specify the maximum length of the
> > command rather than the number of arguments.  Since length of paths can
> > vary wildly, there's no guarantee a certain number of arguments won't
> > still be too long in some cases.
> True. In fact that was my first thought, but the number of arguments was
> a lot easier to implement and I was sick of 1/2 hour builds with
> parallel=false 8^}). (my haven't I become impatient!)
>
> Although limiting only the length of the command wouldn't help with the
> situation Mariusz describes, with an external command only capable of
> groking a particular number...

Limiting a length is such an artificial and OS-dependent-only thing, that
I would rather not make it a parameter of a build target, but place it
(i.e. hardcode it) inside the execon implementation for a particular
OS. If for example given OS cannot cope with command lines longer than
given limit then hardcode it into the target that if OS==givenOS and
length>givenLimit, split it.    What do you think?

cheers
Mariusz