ant-dev mailing list archives

From David Bullock <dbull...@lisasoft.com>
Subject RE: Info about Antidote
Date Tue, 30 Jan 2001 06:55:52 GMT
But you don't need to take it quite all the way:

<task name="javac" ... >
   <param name="compiler" value="..." />
   <classpath dir="..."/>
</task>

Would be fine.  The 'classpath' element is a fairly common core construct.  There is benefit
in normalising the 'task' element  - which otherwise would have different names for different
optionally installed tasks.  There is no such benefit in normalising the other bits and pieces.

True, you have to make your parameters elements too, since you don't know in advance the attributes
that <task> may want to take.  However, this too as some appealing aspects.

For instance, multi-valued attributes are more neatly expressed in the text:

<param name="multivalued">
  <value>one</value>
  <value>two</value>
</param>

This would make the build.xml much more amenable to XSLT processing and to Simeon's goals,
and even more humanly intelligible!

IMHO,
David.

On Mon, 29 Jan 2001, Simeon H.K. Fitch wrote:

> [...]

David Bullock
LISAsoft Project Lead
Sun Certified Programmer for the Java 2 Platform

 email: dbullock@lisasoft.com
mobile: +61 4 0290 1228

"The key ingredients of success are a crystal-clear goal,
a realistic attack plan to achieve that goal,
and consistent, daily action to reach that goal."

Steve Maguire, "Debugging the Development Process".

LISAsoft
http://www.lisasoft.com/

Adelaide                  Sydney
38 Greenhill Rd           Level 3, 228 Pitt Street
Wayville S.A. 5034        Sydney NSW 2000
Australia                 Australia

PH  +61 8 8272 1555       PH  +61 2 9283 0877
FAX +61 8 8271 1199       FAX +61 2 9283 0866