ant-dev mailing list archives

From David Bullock <dbull...@ardec.com.au>
Subject Jini tool for class dependencies at compile time. (was Re: stale services) (fwd)
Date Thu, 11 Jan 2001 22:53:32 GMT
Hi guys,

I haven't looked at this at all, but I thought you might want to be aware of its existence,
if only for the sake of comparison in the way it approaches the issue of class dependencies.

regards,
David.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 14:34:49 -0500
From: Bob Scheifler - SMI Software Development <Bob.Scheifler@east.sun.com>
To: JINI-USERS@JAVA.SUN.COM
Subject: Re: stale services

> The service i created was
> running but it appeared at Lus Browser as a stale service. I thought
> the jar file could be missing some class; and, after adding the right
> files it worked. It was a little messy to find out what the files i should
> add.
>
> Do you suggest some program to do so?

We include such a tool, ClassDep, in our release. Unfortunately, the
only documentation for it we include is the javadoc in the source:
    jini1_1/source/vob/tools/src/com/sun/jini/tool/ClassDep.java
and the uses of it in the various GNUmakefile.jars files in the
jini1_1/source/vob/jive/src/ tree. There's also a short bit I wrote
about it:
    http://archives.java.sun.com/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind9912&L=jini-users&P=R10867

> Very often i have a running service that appear on Lus Browser as stale
> service or Unknown service - I know i did something wrong but it is very
> hard to debug. In general, i suppose these messages means a file not found
> problem, but i cannot trace what file is when the codebase is a jar file
> (http://somehost:port/file.jar) rather than a directory
> (http://somehost:port/).

In JDK 1.2.x, the ClassNotFoundException unfortunately only showed the
highest level class, not the actual class that failed to be found.
However, if you switch to JDK 1.3, the ClassNotFoundException should
tell you exactly which class was missing. You can get the exception
to print out by setting -Dcom.sun.jini.reggie.proxy.debug=1 in the
browser.

- Bob

David Bullock
Project Lead

 email: dbullock@lisasoft.com
mobile: +61 4 0290 1228

"The key ingredients of success are a crystal-clear goal,
a realistic attack plan to achieve that goal,
and consistent, daily action to reach that goal."

Steve Maguire, "Debugging the Development Process".

LISAsoft
http://www.lisasoft.com/

Adelaide                  Sydney
38 Greenhill Rd           Level 3, 228 Pitt Street
Wayville S.A. 5034        Sydney NSW 2000
Australia                 Australia

PH  +61 8 8272 1555       PH  +61 2 9283 0877
FAX +61 8 8271 1199       FAX +61 2 9283 0866