ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Sam Ruby" <ru...@us.ibm.com>
Subject RE: [BUG?] Java Task adds Ant Classpath when forking
Date Wed, 10 Jan 2001 21:38:27 GMT
Sigh.

Changing the default for build.sysclasspath to "ignore" breaks the build
for Ant.  It could be corrected, but it is probably worth describing the
problem here as an indication of why this change would not be backwards
compatible.

The current Ant build.xml contains the following:

   <path id="classpath">
   </path>
   <javac srcdir="${src.dir}"
          destdir="${build.classes.core}"
          debug="on"
          deprecation="off"
          optimize="${javac.optimize}" >
     <classpath refid="classpath" />
   </javac>

The way I would read those statements is the person who designed the build
script explicitly wanted to compile those classes with an absolutely empty
classpath.

For now, I've gone ahead and committed a change that makes the default
"last".  In cases where the classes specified in the system classpath
overlap with the ones specified in the build.xml file (or in the
antRuntime, for cases where that is applicable), the ones in the system
classpath are effectively ignored anyway.

And for those of us that are either paranoid or control freaks, we can
always override this by specifying "ignore" or "only" for the the
build.sysclasspath property - depending on who we trust least ;-)

- Sam Ruby