ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Sam Ruby" <ru...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: So, The Show Must Go On
Date Fri, 19 Jan 2001 11:47:32 GMT
Stefan Bodewig wrote:

>>> all in all I hope your email doesn't mean you are leaving Ant
>>> as implied by the article at xmlhack.com.
>>
>> If I have misread Duncan's words, please feel free to tell so
>> either through the "comment" feature we've recently added on
>> xmlhack or by mail.
>
> I think only Duncan could tell you, whether you've misread him
> - I'm not sure, really.

I've talked to Duncan.  I don't believe he has been misread.

I believe that this community has expressed very clearly that Duncan is
welcome here as an equal.  Duncan does not believe that this is fair.

He believes that in most successful open source communities are driven by a
single thought leader.  I don't agree that it is always a single person.
Furthermore, I would go further and state that leadership implies a
continued and sustained contribution.

At this point, I'd feel more comfortable using myself as an example.  When
I started on this project I first asked permission and inquired as to the
right direction before making a change.  Over time this evolved into
telling people my intentions and executing.  Eventually this reached a
point where - for a while - I was perceived by many to be THE thought
leader.  Then I let this atrophy and others have stepped in and taken my
place.  Recently I wanted to make a change and I reverted back to the
policy of telling people my intention to make a change and then going and
doing it.

In every phase, I have always felt welcome here.  If, for some reason, I
felt a need to resume control of this project because I wished to push it
in a particular direction - I know the path to do so.  Continued and
sustained contribution.

- Sam Ruby