ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Sam Ruby" <ru...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Jakarta PMC Meeting Agenda / Info
Date Sun, 14 Jan 2001 23:12:41 GMT
Diane Holt wrote:

> Maybe the question should be: What's special about Ant that
> isn't special about all the other sub-projects under Jakarta?

It gets to be first...depending on the outcome of this dicussion, more may
follow.

> Additionally, what are the advantages/disadvantages of pulling
> Ant out of its sub-project status and into a top-level project?

Perhaps move overhead.  Perhaps more autonomy.  I doubt anybody knows for
sure.

The motivating factor behind all of this is that subprojects such as Ant
aren't exactly covered by the original charter of the Jakarta PMC.  [It is
worth pointing out that at the time the Jakarta PMC was formed, nobody
could have anticipated the success of Ant].

This needs to be rectified somehow.  Amend the original charter?  Create a
separate PMC?

- Sam Ruby