ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Sam Ruby" <ru...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Why do people like copying the source?
Date Thu, 25 Jan 2001 01:10:56 GMT
Peter Donald wrote:

> 1. Manipulating build files to add in "branding"/"versioning"
> information or some other sort of post-processing (ie
> supporting collections in 1.1 and 1.2

So copy just those files.  I'd agree if those files were a significant
percentage of the overall project (say 20%), but if they are only few
infrequently modified files...

> 2. Some people mount the source on a shared drive (ie
> samba/nfs) and want to compile on a local drive. The
> reason is that compiling on nfs/samba is slooooow.

Why can't they copy the entire tree and then work locally?  What you
propose is that ant copies the source and leave such items as the build
instructions behind.  This doesn't make much sense to me.

> 3. Multiple builds out of same tree. ie you can
> simultaneously have 3-4 different builds with diff

This does not require a copy of the source, just an adjustment to the
destination property.

> Of course this still means unadorned win32 without cygnus has
> "issues" but most people don't use emacs on windows ;)

You may be surprised.  Me?  I'm typically using vim on unadorned win32.
Many of my colleagues use emacs on win32.

By the way, I believe that much of the history of this started with Stefano
Mazzocchi who needed conditional compilation so he added if checks on
targets and selectively copied based on available.  Filters were added
later and do give a valid justification for copying.

I added the ability to selectively include/exclude which was a better
solution (IMHO) to Stefano's original problem.  The need for filtering is
valid, but often can be scoped.

I don't see this as a showstopper item, but it might be educational to put
this up for a majority vote within the scope of this project.

- Sam Ruby