ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Sam Ruby" <ru...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: build.classpath and tinderbox builds
Date Tue, 02 Jan 2001 12:41:23 GMT
Peter Donald wrote:

>> If I don't hear anything shortly, I will check in
>> the change with having the system class path before
>> the build's class path being the default.  If
>> anyone objects after that point, changing the defaut
>> is easy enough...
>
> I'm -1 because it breaks backwards compatability.
> While I think it is a good idea I really don't want
> to go through and change all my build files/environment
> again ;) Wait till Ant2.0 before breaking backwards
> compatability please ;)

While I will respect your -1, I want to understand first.

First, I presume your objection is to changing the default, not to the
build.sysclasspath property overall?

Second, I would like you to verify that including the classpath in your
environment in addition to the classpath specified in the build.xml would
break your builds.

Third, there really is no need to change all your build files...one line in
${user.home}/.ant.properties would suffice.

- Sam Ruby

P.S.  The current implementation leads to anomolies whereby the available
task and the javac task could see different things.  I'm planning on moving
this classpath merging code into tools/ant/util and updating a number of
tasks to use this common function.