ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Sam Ruby" <ru...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: build.classpath and tinderbox builds
Date Thu, 04 Jan 2001 11:46:33 GMT
Stefan Bodewig wrote:

> I think what Diane wanted to point you at was some
> discussion we had a while back (and I think Jay
> implemented the outcome, but I haven't looked at
> his code).

I took a look at the refactored Javac.  The Jikes plugin was incomplete,
and I commented on that here.  Had that work been complete, I would have
gladly folded it in.

> We wanted to have two new attributes, something like
> addruntime and addsystemclasspath. Looking at the
> code you've committed it seems one could achieve the
> desired effect with addsystemclasspath="false". Say
> you have

Not exactly, I really want the ability to control the order *outside* of
the build.xml file.

> I'm not sure what "only" would mean. Ignore the use
> specified classpath completely? Do you have any use
> case for that or has this been added just for
> completeness?

What "only" means that I know what I'm doing and I do *not* want any of the
jars that people may have checked in to interfere with my wishes.

For a use case - take a look at
http://oss.software.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/jakarta/proto/index.html

Every single last one of those builds was done with an Ant built from
bootstrap.  In fact, if a project depends on another project, and I'm
building both, then the version used by the first is the version that I
built from source.

Some of the build failures (e.g. Alexandria) are because I haven't done the
same with the Java task yet.

- Sam Ruby