ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Sam Ruby" <ru...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Property substitutions, Contributed Tasks, & New features
Date Fri, 12 Jan 2001 17:15:01 GMT
Peter Donald wrote:

> Remember ages ago when I was talking about either CSS
> or default proeprties - this was exactly what I meant.
> When Constructing task objects from proxy then you
> would set all explicitly defined attributes for task.
> The you set all implictly defined attributes that
> haven't already been explicitly set. I suggested this
> pre-comimtter status but it was -1'ed back then IIRC
> because it was too complex ;)

I mustn't have been following the mailing list too closely at the time.
Darn :-(

I, too, suggested a CSS syntax at one time.  I think that's what helped
tank my proposal the first time around too.  That's why this time I
completely decoupled the two.  ;-)

The trouble with these types of proposals is that they are much harder to
explain in words than they are to implement (actually the code is
moderately tricky, but very few lines of code).  And the end result is darn
near intuitively self evident once you see the first example.

In any case, a css syntax could easily be layered on top of the current
properties and ini file mechanisms.  And if we get the "cascading" rules
right, I could easily imagine where I could make a complete tinderbox run
with deprecation turned on globally, or debug, or specifying jikes in
pedantic mode...

- Sam Ruby