ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Sam Ruby" <ru...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: The RIGHT Direction for ANT (was Re: Problem using script task)
Date Wed, 10 Jan 2001 20:58:50 GMT
Diane Holt wrote:

> I have a complex compile situation (as most people
> here have become probably too familiar with :) I
> change the classpath from <javac> to <javac> within
> a single target (and I have lots of <javac> tasks
> in lots of "compile" targets). I also have to
> specify much of the order in which the java source
> gets compiled. There's no way I can think of to not
> have a human specify all of that, since there's
> really no pattern to any of it. I simply had to
> "walk the build" -- ie., find what seemed like a
> logical starting point, then start compiling and
> finding out what needed to come next, and next, and
> next, etc., etc. -- not fun, but there wasn't any
> other way to do it, since the build has to be very
> controlled about what gets compiled against jdk118
> classes vs. some of jdk122 vs. some jdk13, and Java
> compilers go compile what they need when they need
> it, so I had to make sure it wasn't compiling
> anything that would pull in something else at the
> wrong point in (classpath) time (tricky, since it
> can be a rather long chain of pulled-in files, and
> the one at the very end, which could be very far
> down the chain, could be the one that ends up
> pulling in a file that requires a different classpath).
>
> At this point, I'd be happy to just have some way to
> not have to duplicate the entire <javac> task every
> time -- having a "template" task defined somewhere
> that specifies defaults, so I could then specify in
> the <javac> tasks only those things that need a value
> other than the default (which would probably only be

That problem description does not sound all that far off from the problem I
am attempting to solve.

I invoke the the build instructions for various projects, varying such
things as the classpath, properties, and target.  In fact, I may invoke the
same project's build instructions multiple times with different parameters.
Of course, this is what leads me to the requirement to be able to override
the classpath from outside the build instructions.

In my case, the ordering is not done manually, but is based on the declared
dependencies.

When it is ready, you might want to take a look at it.  Meanwhile, take a
look at the following web site, and click on the definition link and see
what you think:

   http://oss.software.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/jakarta/proto/index.html

- Sam Ruby