ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Sam Ruby" <ru...@us.ibm.com>
Subject RE: PMC official business
Date Tue, 30 Jan 2001 23:19:09 GMT
Michael Smith wrote:

> If the Apache board created the Jakarta PMC to be responsible
> for  Java Servlet-related software, where did the mission
> statement come from?
>
> "Provide commercial-quality server solutions based on the Java
> Platform that are developed in an open and cooperative fashion."
> [http://jakarta.apache.org/site/mission.html]

I'll take the liberty of excerpting another statement from Roy Fielding:

   So, in case anyone is wondering why these "umbrella projects" aren't
   working the way we'd like, I'd say it is because they exceeded their
   mandate.  I think they did so with extremely good intentions, and the
   board was kept
   somewhat informed along the way, but it certainly wasn't by design.

> This statement is also listed on the front page of the jakarta site
> prefixed with "The goal of the Jakarta Project is to..."
>
> Seems like a logical reason why people are confused on the purpose
> of the Jakarta project and its management committee.

Agreed.  Note that the board is not saying that the Jakarta PMC acted in
bad faith or at any time hid anything from anyone.

How I interpret the current state is that the board gives considerable
latitude to the PMC.  But when the Jakarta PMC specifically brought forward
an issue to the board about umbrella projects, the board's reaction was (in
retrospect) predictable.

What I am trying to do now is determine if there is, in fact a "Jakarta
community".  People working together towards common goals.  It was my
assertion that there was, but I must say that at the moment I'm a bit
underwhelmed by the number of responses to this query.

Suggestions welcome.

- Sam Ruby