ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Sam Ruby" <ru...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Updating myrmidon?
Date Sun, 21 Jan 2001 03:38:21 GMT
Peter Donald wrote:

> The main thing I have to do is change packages from
> org.apache.ant to org.apache.myrmidon, right?

Personally, I would like to see the successor of the Ant 1.x series to be
called....  Ant 2.x.  Myrmidon is still a candidate for replacing Ant,
right?

It is hard to generalize from Catalina.  That codebase was originally
called Tomcat.Next, but at the time that was deemed presumptuous.  When it
actually did become Tomcat 4.0, the opportunity was taken to correct a
problem whereby Tomcat was the name for both the Jakarta subproject and the
servlet engine.  (My preference would be that subprojects don't nest, but
that's another discussion).

Perhaps it would be appropriate to request a clarification on the general
mailing list.

> Also regarding building inter-project file DAGs?

If a standard evolves, I would like to track to in my tinderbox builds.
Have you looked at my definition files?  By virtue of actually attempting
it on a large scale, there likely are some aspects that are worthy of
reuse.  But if you have any suggestions, I would appreciate it.

I'd also like any feedback on whether the consensus is that this
functionallity should be layered on top of Ant, or included in the core.

- Sam Ruby