ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Sam Ruby" <ru...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Ant 1.3 release plan
Date Fri, 19 Jan 2001 13:14:28 GMT
Conor MacNeill wrote:

> Let me start by acknowledging that the voting rules for
> Jakarta are currently being refined, as a result of the
> PMC meeting. I have not yet seen the minutes of the
> meeting so I don't know the extent of those discussions.
> If anyone wants to wait for the voting procedure work to
> be complete, or for the PMC minutes to be available, I
> think a -1 to that effect will be sufficient to postpone
> the vote on this release plan.

I'll go on record as stating that this plan substantially complies with the
guidelines.  In general, Apache isn't rigid on process matters particularly
when the issue isn't contentious.  The fundamental aspect is a clearly
stated intent to release calling for a vote by the contributors to the
project.

One thing worth mentioning: releases are a majority vote, not a consensus
vote.  A -1 in this context is not a veto.

> There will be a CVS freeze (voluntary) for this time.

If there is a desire by some to continue development, one way to handle
this would be to create a branch for 1.3.  Development could continue on
the head, but only changes specifically committed to the branch would be a
part of the release.

> I volunteer to be the release manager for this release.

+1

- Sam Ruby