ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Martin van den Bemt" <>
Subject RE: [Suggestion][New Task] Coding Standards / Code 'Beautifier'
Date Wed, 17 Jan 2001 19:56:50 GMT
But still we're working with human beings with an ego. Some people use
Visual Age. They want to do everything there, even compile.. But visual age
is the problem to start with, it reformats the code of everything (maby the
knowledge of visual age isn't that optimal with him). These environments
should be banned at all time. It makes me cry when 300 of my classes are
reformatted in an non-conventional way (privates on top, constructors spread
around through the file, etc). (we didn't have cvs when this happened
btw..., glad I do now!).
I build everything everyday completely with ant, so that should cover most
of the reformatting issues...
As long as the reformatter doesn't delete any non-scpaces (EOL's conversions
are allowed though), then were pretty alright with java i think.

Martin van den Bemt

-----Original Message-----
From: Preston L. Bannister []
Sent: Wednesday, January 17, 2001 8:36 PM
Subject: RE: [Suggestion][New Task] Coding Standards / Code 'Beautifier'

From: Martin van den Bemt []
> So this functionality could be a (cvs) commit processing rule, a extension
> to current development environments or a nice task in Ant, but not core to
> Ant.

I'd put this a bit more strongly.

This topic has come up before, elsewhere BTW.

If the re-format gets *anything* wrong you can break code.

So the sequence should be:

  * reformat
  * build
  * run all tests
  * cvs checkin

Assuming that the tests are complete...

It is at least doubtful that you want this to be an
automatic process.

Preston L. Bannister

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: