ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Joshua Davis" <jsd2...@bellatlantic.net>
Subject RE: New task submission: Concatenate
Date Wed, 31 Jan 2001 13:10:51 GMT
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Rob Oxspring [mailto:roxspring@yahoo.com]
> Sent: Tuesday, January 30, 2001 6:54 PM
> To: ant-dev@jakarta.apache.org
> Subject: RE: New task submission: Concatenate
>

> What is the opinion on this task?

I think the ANT-ers are too close to releasing 1.3 to include this... oh
well.

> Personally I'd prefer to
> see the task begin referred to as "concat" or the full "concatenate" since
> "cat" seems a bit abstract and too *nix like for me, but otherwise no real
> complaints.

Yeah, I thought about that too.  I decided on 'cat' because it would be
familiar for those who have made lots of makefiles on UN*X / Linux.  It also
fits well with the 'chgrp' and 'chmod' tasks.

> I've started playing with the code to make it Java 1.1 friendly (done) and
> add some support for ordering the the files in the concatenation - aiming
> for attributes; order="none|name|path|length|date" (i.e. any
> metric I could
> find in the File object!) and ascending="true|false" (work in progress).
> Any thoughts? are thought crimes afoot?

Cool! Post it when UR done.

> One other thought I had was whether ordering functionality should
> be lumped
> in with all filesets so that other tasks could take advantage of
> ordering...
> would this be useful to anyone?

There are a few things I didn't do becuase this would involve changes to the
base code, which I didn't want to do for my first sumission:
- Ordering.
- Applying 'filters' (like copy)... the method that does the token
substitution is not visible. :(