ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Conor MacNeill" <co...@cortexebusiness.com.au>
Subject RE: PMC official business
Date Wed, 31 Jan 2001 02:52:49 GMT
Sam,

> I'll take the liberty of excerpting another statement from Roy Fielding:
>
>    So, in case anyone is wondering why these "umbrella projects" aren't
>    working the way we'd like, I'd say it is because they exceeded their
>    mandate.  I think they did so with extremely good intentions, and the
>    board was kept
>    somewhat informed along the way, but it certainly wasn't by design.

I guess I don't have the full context here. When Roy says, "these projects
aren't working", I have to ask to what he is referring. How and for whom are
these projects not working? Is this coming from the project committers, from
the PMC itself, from users?

In the end I guess we are going to need to understand the role of the PMC.
When the guidelines say the PMC "is responsible for setting overall project
direction", what does that really mean in practice? How does it do carry out
that role?

> What I am trying to do now is determine if there is, in fact a "Jakarta
> community".  People working together towards common goals.  It was my
> assertion that there was, but I must say that at the moment I'm a bit
> underwhelmed by the number of responses to this query.

If there is a Jakarta community, what are its common goals? If we say
something broad like Server side Java, then there are other candidate
technologies where there is little activity such as JMS, EJB, etc. When this
has come up, it has often been stated that there is no need for Jakarta to
pursue such technologies since there are other good OSS solutions for these.
That is certainly a reasonable statement but if this is true, then what is
to be Jakarta's charter?

Conor