ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Conor MacNeill" <co...@cortexebusiness.com.au>
Subject RE: Why do people like copying the source?
Date Thu, 25 Jan 2001 00:58:48 GMT
> From: Sam Ruby [mailto:rubys@us.ibm.com]
>
> I realize that Main.java and defaultManifest.mf are special
> cases.  Perhaps
> those two files could be copied INTO the source tree instead of having
> every file copied OUT.
>
> - Sam Ruby

Actually, I prefer the creation of the resource in the build than modifying
Main.java. It would allow, for example, a GUI to give out version
information. As it now stands the version information is embedded in
Main.java (which is, or should be, just the command line driver for ant) and
is not accessible to other classes.

This is also potentially not backward compatible since some build files may
have been accessing that resource.

<project name="test" default="main">

  <property resource="/org/apache/tools/ant/version.txt"/>

  <target name="versiontest">
    <echo message="built with Ant version ${VERSION}"/>
  </target>

  <target name="main" depends="versiontest"/>
</project>

Of course, that is probably unlikely.

Conor