ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Preston L. Bannister" <pres...@home.com>
Subject RE: [Coding Standards] Apache licence and GPL compatible?
Date Thu, 18 Jan 2001 22:29:57 GMT
From: Ceki Gulcu [mailto:cgu@urbanet.ch]
> The number of people who really understand open source licensing is
> probably fewer than the number of scholars who understand general
> relativity.  Does it all boil down to two egos (RMS/ESR)? Ceki

One practical difference is that the GPL is coercive.

The GPL wants to *force* you to license the code you
write under the GPL if you use any GPL code ("copyleft").

This is very often a practical problem.

( Discussion on this topic can and has gone on at great length.
  I don't really want to re-visit a 15 yead old issue :).