ant-dev mailing list archives

From David Dabbs <Dda...@Zefer.com>
Subject Specifying explicit file lists (FileSets) in MatchingTasks
Date Tue, 09 Jan 2001 19:23:03 GMT

Hello,

I'm planning to build my project from an explicit file list as opposed to
using pattern matching for the .java or .jsp files. FileSets seem like the
natural place to turn, specifying a pattern for each file I want included.
The issue I'm running into is that if the pattern doesn't match (because the
file is not there) the task proceeds happily. I need it to fail because the
file is absent. It is not feasible to check for the existence of every file
with a task.

Is there another option that I've missed? I'm considering adding support to
MatchingTask so that it can take a java.util.jar.Manifest file (the list
file format I'm using) in addition to a pattern file(s). One could still add
includes and excludes only they would match against the manifest list. The
MatchingTask "dir" attribute would provide the base directory for the
manifest files. I can see how the validation could be a configurable option,
if one is generating some of the items in the list.

In some experiments with this feature, processing lists this way seems
faster than scanning directories and checking if patterns should be
included.

Thanks,

David Dabbs