ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stuart Roebuck <stuart.roeb...@adolos.co.uk>
Subject Re: [Suggestion][New Task] Coding Standards / Code 'Beautifier'
Date Thu, 18 Jan 2001 09:41:47 GMT
Martin,

I agree.  Reading your comments and thinking about it, this is not something that fits within
the core uses most people will put Ant to.  I don't think it makes any sense to strip out
the relevant code from his for inclusion in Ant, so that also means that this might add unnecessarily
to the footprint of Ant for folk who weren't interested in it.  So I'll persue it on an optional
basis.

However, for me I can see it as an ideal part of my build process.  At present I use a package
called ProjectBuilder (on MacOS X) as my development environment - its got a nice interface
and works well for me.  But I don't like the built in Java compile and build options, so I
use the facility it provides to drive an external build tool - in my case Ant.

My standard build process is called "compileAndTest" and, as it says, it compiles my code
and then runs every standard jUnit unit test on the code.  In the flavour of "Extreme Programming"
this gives me great confidence in the whole process from one moment to the next and usually
avoid my having to actually 'run' the code until later.

If I can get this code reformatter working under Ant then I will add it to this process.
Assuming I have confidence in its ability to maintain the integrity of the code, I will put
it in as the last stage in the build after testing (just so that I don't wait for it reformatting
prior to telling me about a missing ";" or the like!).  Then I will be able to code from one
moment to the next, not worrying about tidying comments or changing the indenting of lines.
 I will know that, if the build has succeeded: the code compiles, runs and is formatted in
a standard way.

Anyway, feedback has been very positive, so I will push on and try an throw something together
and see how Chris, the author, feels about it.

Stuart.