ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stuart Roebuck <stuart.roeb...@adolos.co.uk>
Subject Re: [Suggestion][New Task] Coding Standards / Code 'Beautifier'
Date Wed, 17 Jan 2001 20:09:14 GMT
This is all helpful feedback.

I *absolutely* agree that a reformatter would have to be *totally* reliable, and not break
code.  It looks like the author is already using junit which is a good sign.  The other positive
aspect of this reformatter is that it is part of a java refactoring suite which means that
(I think) the code actually parses and understands the code to some extent rather than doing
a brain dead bit of ASCII character art!  In my brief uses of it on some of my own code I
was impressed with the result.

Is is also fairly configurable, so my impression is that it would only change what you want
it to.  jEdit <jedit.sourceforge.net> is very easy to download and run and the JavaStyle
plugin is easy to loadin (look under Plugin Manager).  It's just a case of downloading the
jar and doing a java -jar on it (assuming Java 1.2+).  I would be really appreciative of any
feedback on how well people think the reformater works on real code.  I'm keen on this idea,
but I don't want to invest lots of time on it if the community out there don't think it is
practical or useful.

Stuart.