ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stuart Roebuck <stuart.roeb...@adolos.co.uk>
Subject [Suggestion][New Task] Coding Standards / Code 'Beautifier'
Date Wed, 17 Jan 2001 17:49:02 GMT
This is a cross-post from a discussion on the jakarta-james discussion list.

This has received a fairly welcome response from that list, but obviously it relates to Ant,
so could anyone who matters let me know whether this is of interest, and whether I should
pursue it.

Stuart.

> Following this post I've been doing some investigating.
>
> The code editing package jEdit <http://jedit.sourceforge.net/> uses an optional

> JavaStyle plugin which automatically enforces most coding standards and can be
> configured to various preferences. (By enforces, I mean that it automatically
> reformats code to meet a standard, and can automatically do so on a whole directory of

> source code.) The engine behind this is a PrettyPrinter by Chris Seguin which is part
of a
> collection of Java source code refactoring tools (JRefactory)
> <http://users.snip.net/~aseguin/cspretty.html>.  This code is currently GPLd.
>
> I have had a brief correspondence with Chris to see what his reaction would be to the
idea of
> incorporating his code into Ant (and therefore expanding the license - if my
> understanding of licenses is correct).  His response has been quite open so far.
>
> My thought is, if we could add this tool to Ant we could provide an automated mechanism
for
> conforming any Apache project to a particular coding standard (including dealing with

> those nasties like tabs vs. spaces).  The PrettyPrinter code also includes facilities

> for producing default Javadoc comments for uncommented code matching particular
> criteria (e.g. only public methods..).  This kind of automated conformance seems such
> nice idea for open source development.
>
> What would your reaction be to this idea?  Is it worth pursuing or have I missed some

> practical limitation?
>
> Stuart.

If these seems generally a good idea, would anyone like to suggest an appropriate task name
and determine whether it should be optional or not.

I would propose "JavaStyle" as the task name, but, given its potential in open source development
I'd be inclined to suggestion non-optional (assuming the license issues are resolvable).

Feedback?

Thanks,

Stuart.