ant-dev mailing list archives

From Jon Stevens <...@latchkey.com>
Subject Re: [Coding Standards] Apache licence and GPL compatible?
Date Thu, 18 Jan 2001 18:44:20 GMT
on 1/18/01 5:09 AM, "Stuart Roebuck" <stuart.roebuck@adolos.co.uk> wrote:

> I've just had an email from Chris Seguin, the author of the code reformatting
> utilities.  It looks to him that the GPL and Apache licenses are incompatible.
> He says:
>
>> The apache license says that the code is owned by the
>> Apache organization (and that it should remain open
>> source).  GPL seems incompatible with this.  GPL says
>> that the code is still owned by me.
>
> Can someone clarify this so that I can give him some firm information -
> apologies if this has come up a thousand times before - I couldn't find a
> helpful reference in my archives.
>
> I hasten to say that he goes on to say:
>
>> I might just start releasing it with a Apache license
>> instead.
>>
>> Also, I'm excited!  I got Ant to work today!!!!

Yes. The short story is that the GPL license and the ASF license are
incompatible according to the FSF (not the irony here is that the ASF has
not made such claims). Therefore, you cannot under and circumstances link
with (ie: use a .jar) or include GPL software within an ASF project.

Your best bet is to attempt to convince him to release a BSD or MPL 1.1
version of his software. You can also suggest to him that he dual license
his source code (like Justin Wells did with WebMacro) although that isn't
preferable as it leads to confusion IMHO.

Lastly, I would like to just state my own personal opinion (again) which is
that the GPL just plain sucks.

thanks,

-jon