ant-dev mailing list archives

From James Duncan Davidson <dun...@x180.net>
Subject Re: Property substitutions, Contributed Tasks, & New features
Date Fri, 12 Jan 2001 07:44:38 GMT
On 1/11/01 10:30 PM, "Conor MacNeill" <conor@ebinteractive.com.au> wrote:

> [...]

That's one of the reasons why I've been, maybe to subtlely, making a
distinction between

    <property> being something that is set on a module

And

    <target>
       <setproperty> being a task that sets a property.

The reason for this is that properties defined on the command line could
supercede the properties defined by a module. However, this still doesn't
mean that they are immutable. Granted, scripts and such shouldn't change
properties willy-nilly, but the point is that the command line start sets an
entry point condition.

For example, I can say:

    java -Dmysysprop=foo net.x180.foo.Bar

And my code could override that property. It's ok. Works fine.

                                                                  !try; do()