ant-dev mailing list archives

From James Duncan Davidson <dun...@x180.net>
Subject Re: The RIGHT Direction for ANT (was Re: Problem using script task)
Date Fri, 12 Jan 2001 06:58:56 GMT
On 1/9/01 2:29 PM, "Roger Vaughn" <rogervaughn@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I have to defend Jerry here - this smacks too much of
> the "newer is always better" thought.  Make is better
> than Ant - in certain circumstances.  Try building C
> programs with Ant and you'll see what I mean.  I will
> agree that Ant is far, far better than Make at
> building most Java programs.

A non-goal for Ant is to be better at building C programs than make.
Building JNI code should be a goal -- handling a few C files to do that
should be a goal.. But to be better than make is not a goal.

> As for your templating approach, give XSLT a try
> instead of scripting.  It's very powerful for this
> use, and has the huge advantage of expressing your
> build files in only one language - XML.  With XSLT,
> you can define new tags for all kinds of things - even
> for generating multiple Ant targets, for standard
> property init sections, for standard target sets, etc.

I would fully support a tool that "front-ended" Ant like this. Especially if
it helps keep Ant simple. :)

                                                                  !try; do()