ant-dev mailing list archives

From James Duncan Davidson <dun...@x180.net>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Enhancement to available task
Date Fri, 12 Jan 2001 06:14:53 GMT
On 1/8/01 4:01 PM, "Bill Burton" <billb@progress.com> wrote:

>>     *) if/unless attributes check for true/false/1/0 values in a prop
>
> This has been discussed before in relation to if/unless at the target
> level.  If I recall, there were differing opinions this.

I'm sure that there were differing opinions on this. It doesn't mean that I
won't continue to argue that if there is going to be an if check, it needs
to check the property for a meaningful value, not just the existence of a
value.

>>     *) it should be possible to write a task that sets a prop to
>>        whatever
>>
>> It should be possible to provide this logic as a task -- which might be
>> abstracted a bit more:
>>
>> <setproperty property="foo" value="true" combination="any|all|none">
>>   <classpresent class="javax.xml.parsers.DOMBuilder"/>
>> </setproperty>
>
> How would this functionality releate to that of the existing <property>
> and <available> tasks?  Would it make more sense to just add to the
> <property> task instead and deprecate the <available> task?  The
> <property> task could support the nested attributes classpresent,
> filepresent, propertypresent, etc.

<property> shouldn't be a task... The only thing that <property> should do
in a build file is declare that there is a property of a certain name and
value.

Same with <available> -- see my posts on <execute-task> for a task way of
executing things based on conditionals.

.duncan
                                                                  !try; do()