ant-dev mailing list archives

From James Duncan Davidson <dun...@x180.net>
Subject Re: build.classpath and tinderbox builds
Date Mon, 08 Jan 2001 05:58:53 GMT
On 1/5/01 12:27 PM, "Sam Ruby" <rubys@us.ibm.com> wrote:

> Not just the internals of Ant - here is an excerpt from xml-cocoon2's
> build.xml:
>
>  <path id="classpath">
>    <fileset dir="./lib">
>      <include name="*.jar"/>
>    </fileset>
>  </path>
>
>  <javac srcdir="${build.src}"
>         destdir="${build.dest}"
>         debug="${debug}"
>         optimize="${optimize}"
>         deprecation="${deprecation}"
>         target="${target.vm}">
>    <classpath refid="classpath"/>
>  </javac>
>
> I don't want *any* of those jars in my classpath...

Eeek. Seems to me that the javac shouldn't have the classpath reference in
there if it's not right to have it in there. Does providing a way to
override this from the outside solve any problems that really are structural
to the way the build file is written? Including *.jar is pretty scary in any
case. And why would there be a jar there that shouldn't be?

The reason I'm concerned is that if you can take out one part, then we'll
run into wanting to take out a whole lot more -- say some command that will
let any line beginning with "<foo" be ignored.

                                                                  !try; do()