ant-dev mailing list archives

From Ariel Partners LLC <arielpartn...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: Ant and RPM integration-- Has anyone looked into it?
Date Tue, 23 Jan 2001 23:44:30 GMT
Hello:

Having as few prerequisites as possible should clearly be one of the
top priorities for a tool such as RPM.    But we should think carefully about
this issue.

To illustrate:

We at Ariel Partners have been serious power users of gnumake since
we started up shop about a year ago.  We develop software and web sites
using Java, XML, and related technologies and must produce releases for a
wide variety of customers/projects/applications/platforms/environments
simultaneously.
The great thing about gnumake is that you can do nearly anything with it.
However, we noticed two major problems:
1) The rules files, even when meticulously pretty-printed, commented,
formatted, etc.
   are very difficult for anyone but a "blue adept" to read and understand.
2) gnumake pretty much requires an environment such as cygwin to function
properly
on win32 machines

We found that it was much easier:
a) to find people to maintain java subclasses of "Task" (ant) than gnumake
rule files
b) to have a Java Runtime Environment (JRE) as a pre-requisite than a posix
environment (e.g. cygwin)

To a beginning user of RPM on Solaris/Win32/Linux (we use all three), the
prospect
of building RPM for Solaris or Win32 is a bit daunting.   To build ant, I
only have to install a JRE.
Many Java-based tools actually bundle a JRE so that they are entirely self
contained.

Obviously, I am attacking the problem more from a developer's than a system
administrator's point
of view.  RPM as it is configured today has some basic requirements.  You
need a kernel
and some libraries and a shell to run it, right?   The philosophical
question we have to
ask ourselves is how low-level a tool or layer do we consider a JRE and are
we comfortable
being totally dependent on one (like ant is....)

Cheers,

--Craeg Strong
Ariel Partners LLC