ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Waldhoff, Rodney" <rwald...@us.britannica.com>
Subject RE: Why do people like copying the source?
Date Wed, 24 Jan 2001 15:35:47 GMT
> I thought the main reason was you got to use Ant's nifty filtering on all
> the sources during the copy to the build tree, so that any version info or
> config info was only stored in the build.xml, and not anywhere in the
> source (or doc, or ...).

We had being doing a copy of our source tree for precisely this reason, and
for the reasons you cite:

> takes longer, takes up more disk
> space, and introduces more risk in the build process

have begun to move away from it.

The inline regular expression replacement task I submitted a while back (see
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=ant-dev&m=97864954216682&w=2) makes this a
lot easier.  It can, for example, run through all of your checked-out files
and update the version number/build timestamp (see the example in the
archives).  This is especially useful when your version control system
doesn't do things like this directly, or when you want to do things like
conditional compilation.

The other advantage of doing this "inline" rather than using "filter token
replacement" is that the source is compilable without filtering.

 - rlw